The mountains are calling, and maybe God is, too! Small but vibrant Baptist church seeking a part-time Student Ministries Pastor.
• Must be a faithful follower of Jesus.
• Must be or become a member who supports the vision, values, and doctrinal statement of Hillsboro Baptist Church.
• Must have a heart for sharing God’s Word with children and youth.
• Must appreciate the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains
• Attained or currently pursuing a degree in biblical studies or equivalent. Valid ministry experience may serve as a substitute on a case-by-case basis.
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to satisfactorily perform necessary duties of administration and financial management/transparency associated with the ministry role.
The Student Ministries Pastor (SMP) will assist, support, and carry out different church endeavors that help Hillsboro Baptist Church fulfill its missions statement of knowing God’s Word, showing God’s love, and growing God’s kingdom. This is a part-time position, requiring approximately 20 hours of work per week.
While there are many tasks inherently associated with this position, it must be clearly stated that the most important “task” the SMP can partake in is growing deeper in Christ. While the SMP will be serving alongside the church leadership to fulfill the Great Commission, the SMP must never prioritize this position above his personal walk with the Lord. He must be committed to living “above reproach” (1 Tim 3:2) in all areas of his life. As such, this position is ideal for a person who seeks to represent Christ faithfully, sacrificially serve the church, and lovingly reach out to neighbors with the truth of God’s Word.
There are three main areas for the SMP to focus on:
1. Lead & Develop Children’s Ministry Programs (Nursery-5th Grade)
. Provide vision and leadership for Hillsboro’s children’s Sunday School program that aligns with the broader vision of Hillsboro.
Work with staff to create and maintain a safe and fun environment that promotes spiritual formation for every age.
Work with staff to organize, recruit, schedule, train, and oversee volunteers.
Oversee the use of Biblical curriculum and impactful activities.
o Work with Children’s Ministry team to offer special events throughout the year.
2. Lead & Develop Youth Ministry Programs
Provide vision and leadership for Hillsboro’s weekly youth program that aligns with the broader vision of Hillsboro.
Create and maintain a safe and fun environment that promotes spiritual formation and engages culture in relevant ways.
Invest and engage relationally with students and volunteers.
Organize, recruit, schedule, train, and oversee volunteers.
Communicate regularly with parents and families about the youth group’s activities.
Teach/lead Bible studies with the youth.
Provide pastoral support and growth opportunities for students.
Organize outreach-oriented events for students in the community to be introduced to the church and the gospel.
Organize youth outings (missions trips, youth camps, service projects, fun activities, etc.).
3. Fulfill Other Duties, as Assigned by Lead Pastor
o Provide leadership in other areas of ministry where your gifting meets the needs and mission of Hillsboro.
o Participate in church-wide events and activities, including leadership meetings.
o Occasional hospital visitations, weddings, funerals, etc.
o Preach on Sunday mornings, approximately 3-5 times per year.
PS – The church is less than 15 minutes away from Shenandoah National Park and the Appalachian Trail, and a local pizza joint in Crozet was voted the Best Pizza in the World by National Geographic!